October is my favourite month of the year; the vibrant colours of leaves falling on the ground, the crisp autumn air, and, of course, the abundance of squash and pumpkins readily available. The chilly morning air has me craving a warm cup of joe in the morning. One of the popular drinks this season is the pumpkin spice latte that is available at almost all coffee shops, and some shops has even offered the latte as early as the end of August! In the Okanagan, the weather often stays warm until the end of September; therefore, I choose to savour this specialty drink for October and November.
Pumpkin spice lattes purchased in coffee shops can be loaded with refined sugars and processed syrups and are usually made with dairy. Fortunately, most shops now offer dairy and sugar free options for those who are allergic and/or follow a sugar-free lifestyle. Keep in mind, it can cost extra with substitutions, so I recommend you skip the Starbuck’s line and make your own homemade version. Your wallet and health will be forever grateful!
This vegan friendly recipe is dairy free, sweetened naturally with maple syrup, and contains warming spices like cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon. It feels like a warm hug with every sip; I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte / Serves 2
- 1 1/2 cups freshly brewed coffee
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk*
- 2 tablespoons pureed pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- So Delicious dairy free coconut whip (optional)
- Add all ingredients in a high-speed bender except coconut whip.
- Blend and serve!
- Garnish with more cinnamon and coconut whip if desired.
*use coconut milk from a can to make it extra creamy!
Back to news